Founded in 1896, Campion Hall is one of the Permanent Private Halls of the University of Oxford. It is run by the Society of Jesus and occupies a fine late-Lutyens building, built in 1935. The Hall’s collection, assembled by the celebrated Fr. Martin D’Arcy includes many fine works of baroque and twentieth century art, as well as books associated with St Edmund Campion, including the very rare secret printing of Decem Rationes.
The Wallace Collection Library and Archives house an extensive collection of around 35,000 books, historical and institutional records relating to the museum and its founders, and several collected archives. The topics represented in the Library and Archives mirror those of the museum: French 18th century fine and decorative arts, arms and armour and the history of collecting are its main subject areas.
Winchester College was founded in 1382 and is one of England’s oldest schools. Over the past six centuries it has acquired a remarkable historic collection of more than ten thousand books and manuscripts, including volumes from the library of the founder, William of Wykeham. The visit will include a viewing of some of the library’s treasures, from medieval manuscripts to contemporary artist’s books. There will also be an opportunity to visit a temporary exhibition in the school museum celebrating the bicentenary of John Keats’ visit to Winchester.